Former New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz might have forgotten that he went to UMass and went undrafted before the team signed him in the day after the 2010 NFL Draft was over. No other team gave him a chance.
That did not seem to matter to Cruz has he completely torched every bridge he built while he was in New York on Thursday during an interview on New York’s Power 105 with the Breakfast Club.
Cruz concocted a conspiracy theory during his interview, believing that the Giants may have decided to cut him well before the season.
“Halfway through the year, you’re like, ‘OK, I’m balling,’ and then the other half I’m not getting the ball,” he said. “And you’re just like, ‘What’s going on?’ It was like, ‘OK, I see what’s happening. They don’t want me here anymore.’”
Cruz missed serious time after suffering an ACL injury in 2014 and missed the entire 2015 season. Cruz could not wrap his head around the fact that the Giants would cut a 31-year-old receiver who only caught 39 balls in 2017 and 23 in 2014.
“A lot of people probably don’t know this: Let’s say I played well, was a 1,000-yard receiver last year, it would have been more difficult from a fan perspective to cut me,” he said. “If I’m a 1,000-yard guy, they’re like, ‘Why are you cutting Cruz? He just had 1,000 yards and had five or six touchdowns. That doesn’t make sense.’
“But if I have 500 yards or whatever the case may be, it’s a little easier on the fans to be like, ‘Oh, he didn’t play well, so that’s why they cut him.’ And if I played well, they owed me a ton of money that next year so it was like, ‘Let’s get Cruz off the books.’”
Cruz did explain that his priorities are not even football anymore, they are in fashion — which could have been a better explanation than whatever Cruz was saying Thursday.
Later, Cruz explained that he “never said he was sabotaged.” Obviously he was not quoted as saying such. But her inferred it.
After that, he signed a one-year deal with the Chicago Bears.